4.21.2011

the dance(s)

My apologies for springing this on you, but it's part of the narrative that makes up my life. I took up Lindy Hop in 1997 and dropped out in 2007. In that time I got good at it. I took away many positive things from this experience/time in my life. Some of the closest friends I have, come out of this period. There was a downside and some of the stuff that turned me off to it were the scene politics, snobbery, and I was just plain burnt out with it. Since some things in life come to an end, I thought that was it. I might've been wrong.

Neither of these people are me

The lil' bro has been pushing/nagging me back into this. We met during the swing dance phase of our lives so he knows a thing or two about it. He became a roommate, a best friend, and eventually what my sister and I affectionately call our lil brother now. My father nicknamed him that immediately after meeting him. He calls him Dee Dee (phonetic spelling) which means little brother in Chinese. 

I've attended 3 dances to date. My first dance, after four years away, was painful. I had forgotten about the different styles and the girl I asked felt like I was dragging a dead body around the floor. I was about ready to give up, but my second dance that night was much better. She was a dream to dance with despite my being rusty. Some people can be asses at times like that, but she was an absolute sweetheart.

What had happened to cute neighbor girl? I think that's done. She said that she would be busy over the next three weeks, but still wanted to go to dinner once she had time again. This was about three weeks ago now. Maybe it's just me, but I think I've been brushed off. 

I'm undecided on whether to keep dancing or not. I do like the people I've met and the scene here does not seem to have the politics or bad juju of the one I left. I guess I'll keep going until I don't really want to again. We'll see how this pans out.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment