3.21.2011

great friends, good times


me and the friends
I had the distinct pleasure of being able to spend this weekend with some very dear old friends of mine, Leah and Trevor The occasion finally gave me an excuse to go to the Alamo and Riverwalk after living in San Antonio this past year. Why did it take me so long? I have an aversion to cities, crowds, and absolutely hate any downtown. As a side note I was born in New York City. Despite my aversion to cities, I am attracted history. I love all history but have been mainly focusing on the American west over the last decade of my life. I digress. We started the day out having breakfast at the Magnolia Pancake Haus (highly recommend this), then off to the Alamo, and then made our way to the Riverwalk. It started out as a walk to take in the sites but slowly turned into a pub crawl. Err Rivercrawl. We found out they let you walk the path there with booze and so took advantage of that. We even took the boat cruise tour so we could get the listeners digest story of everything around. All in all it was a great day.

 

Where they make the magic happen
I had only one thing planned for our second day. Damned good Texas BBQ!!! Shortly after waking up and getting ready we bailed for Driftwood Texas to visit the Salt Lick BBQ Restaurant. We skipped breakfast so that we'd bring our rawest appetites. It took us about an hour to get there via the scenic route, and we had a 45 minute wait after arriving. Believe me when I say that the way that placed smelled told us that the wait was worth it. Once we were seated we ordered about a pound of each meat offered and a pint each of the sides. This place was even better than it had been described to me. Everything tasted incredible right down to the bread they served with the meals. My friends said the only thing that didn't taste as good but was close to, was his grandpa's ribs. That's always a good sign when you can find food near as good as family makes it. After lunch I got them back home and we said our farewells and they made their way back to Houston where they're visiting family. I managed to forklift myself one final time onto the couch and there I stayed reading the rest of the night. 


Yeah, that was a great weekend!

Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment