4.28.2013

egress

It's not what you think, and I'm not leaving. Yet. This is about a game I started playing a few weeks ago called Ingress. My need for diversion has grown equal in size to the worries in my life. The whole reason I bring it up at all is that it's perfect for those living the mobile lifestyle. Now there are a few limitations. First and foremost you can only play it if you have an Android device (smartphone or tablet with GPS and 3/4G access). Secondly, you gotta be outside. A slam dunk for the full timing crowd.


Interested yet? The best way I can describe the game is that it's cross between capture the flag and risk. Without getting into a long drawn out explanation I'll try to synopsize it. There are two possible teams you can play for and you pick one at sign on. The first goal is to capture the flag. The second goal is to link three captured flags together in a triangle to form a territory. The third goal is to hold all three as best you can. Seems simple enough, right? It's not. It's insane. It's also the most fun I've had in a long while. It takes minutes a day to play and won't eat it up (unless you let it). Now here's why this game lends itself to travelers. The flags are called portals in the game, and in reality are ... post offices, historic landmarks, modern outdoor art, statues, historic buildings, religious temples, and even select business establishments like Jamba Juice. 

How do I start? Sign up for an invite www.ingress.com. It took about a week and a half to get mine.

How do I play? The Ingress Boot Camp was a huge help to me, but there are G+ communities all over the world. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that this is being played world wide. Anyways there are people willing to help teach you to play and even help you level up. There are currently eight levels.

Is it fun? Hell yes it is! Is it playable everywhere? That depends purely on the coverage area of your mobile phone provider. What if I have an iPhone? Lose it and get an android! This is what you get for thinking different and not affordable. Sorry, I was never a rich man. Rot in hell Steve Jobs.


Updated to add the following ..

I neglected to mention the most important reason I started playing. The weather has been going back and forth between rain or hot sunny days. This makes hiking a sweaty muddy mess for us. I've not gone out in the last two weeks because of this and as a result, haven't exercized much. This game has gotten us out of the house and walking which is good. The heat and humidity are still uncomfortable but we're able to cool off in a building or the truck if it gets to be too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment