11.27.2015

recoiled

I think I've recovered rather nicely since my last post. You ready? Here we go.

Here's where I'm at with the German Shepherd. His name was Uber by the way. After a mostly ok intro with Bridgette and two plus weeks of parallel walks, he was completely OK with her. He never fully relaxed in that time. Something I never knew before was that GSD's don't do well in shelters. This is because they're very devoted to their families and are devastated when they wind up in one. This was hard being a witness to given my love for the breed and was not aware of. Last weekend I brought him home on a sleepover, and he relaxed completely. Ok, it was an outing into a sleepover into a morning outing. He did great and despite being a little scared of a few things when he first arrived, he relaxed a lot on the second day. His second sleepover went even better and he was far more relaxed than the first time, but he did not like going back to the sanctuary the second time. Don't fret as that was his last sleepover. Our third excursion away from the sanctuary is the final one. He only goes back there now during the days when I'm working, but comes home with me. We're on a 30 day adopt to foster just in case something goes wrong with him and B which I'm not worried about. He looks to her for confidence and she's been a great role model for him. At least when she's not freaking out and peeing on our bed in fear. So, here are a few recent pics ...

Getting to know you

The first ride home

Our first night together

I already love this place

Jr beagle in training

Warm and comfy on our 2nd sleepover
So after much deliberation I finally locked in his name. The first named I picked was Ash after my favorite unreluctant hero from the Evil Dead movies. As I got to know him better this name did not suit him. In a fit of frustration I almost named him Goober since it rhymed with Uber. I finally named him Moses. I was struggling with a proper name for the guy but in a convo with sissy ... well she reminded me of something I began over a decade ago. In our convo she asked me what our grandfather's name was. In that instant everything came into focus. You see, I named Bridgette after my grandmother Brigida (I'll explain why another time). My gramp's name was Moises which translates into Moses. This was too perfect to resist so I went for it. I did test him and he responded to the name with him. A bit of clicker training will easily reinforce it. That all being said, I've increased my family by one, A big one. 

Me and the coworker/friend are back on good terms with each other. To be perfectly honest, my assumptions were my own fault. After I was ok enough to talk to her, I came to learn she was the reason why her parents backed out of the GSD adoption. I apologized as well as hugging her a lot. We're good!

There's a lot more but I'm beat and need to get some sleep. I'll follow up tomorrow night with everything else that's transpired. 


In the meantime ... Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment