8.27.2012

ending the social network

This Saturday begins a two month experiment I'm sure I know the outcome of. I texted my sister the username and password of my Facebook account with the instructions to change the password, and delete my account if I don't come to her begging for them back. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to extricate myself from G+, but that's not really a problem since I really don't use it, much. The main problem is that it's tied to my blogger account, but have read that you can separate the two safely. Like I said, I don't use it much so it's really not a bother. I won't go into all the reasons why I think it's bad since they're personal and there are countless articles about it. I came to the decision after careful consideration and examination of its impact on my life. The majority of my experience with it has been of a negative nature since signing on four years ago. I decided that now is as good a time as any to shed ties since I'm on the eve of many changes to come.

I realize that many of you aren't on my friends list to begin with. Please don't take offense. I value my privacy and am very selective about what I share with others. So, should our paths cross and we meet in person, I look forward to making friends the old fashioned way with you.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Steve. Totally understand your stance on social networks. You will be keeping this one though, right? And your account with the van dweller forums? Hope to see you soon. We gotta get our meat on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am keeping the blog and not leaving the forum. I just don't want to have anything to do with facebook any longer.

      And yes, another trip to the Brazilian steak house is in order!

      Delete
  2. Facebook can be the Devil. But, then it transforms into an Angel of Light. I'm powerless.

    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love FB. There are some great people I have met on there. But its exhausting! I am planning to cut down and check in once a day and thats it, I totally understand your reason for doing so.

    ReplyDelete