9.30.2013

kelly kettle: review and first cook

My first ever video review. There was kind of a steep learning curve and a quadrillion mistakes were made but it's finished. I know this attempt is mediocre at best, but please don't allow that to reflect on the product itself. The Kelly Kettle delivers and is more than worth the cost in my opinion.

I originally wanted to prepare something exotic that would really showcase the Kelly kettle, but time constraints prevented that from happening. This actually worked out since exotic ingredients are harder to come by in most, if not all, rural markets. I instead went with ingredients anyone can find and put together a simple faux Asian vegetable noodle soup. I also made the mistake of recording more audio than there was video to go with, so my narration ends abruptly with the video. What got chopped was me Thanking you for watching and hope that my review informs and helps you in arriving at a decision.


[Afterthoughts]
Here's what didn't make it into the video. I did too much at once so some things suffered. Cooking was a little awkward since this was my first time. I should have cooked with it a few times before taping. They're not kidding when they say this boils water fast. Even though I'd read and knew it would take three minutes, I was still caught off guard when it happened. I also recommend not filling the water chamber up to the edge of the lip since it splashes out when boiling. Hilariously, I almost put out my own fire because of this. My tea kind of tasted a little metallic, but I've experienced this with new kettles before. It goes away by the second or third boil which I confirmed with this mornings tea. Clean up is a cinch as is packing it all away when finished. The inside of the kettle and potholder turn black from use which is normal. I know there are ways to clean it back to an almost a pristine state, but it doesn't bother me. The kit is simple, straightforward, and easy to use. Finally. I think the best thing about Kelly Kettles is that all the parts can be individually replaced should any become damaged. You don't have to buy a whole entire kit just to get one rare part, nor are any of the replacement parts overpriced.

[The Recipe]
The noodles dominated the Kelly pot when they were finished cooking, so you can split the pack if it's too much. However if you love them then leave it as is. Depending on your dietary preference you can add or switch out anything below with whatever you prefer. I had also meant to add bits of chicken to this but forgot to defrost it in time for the video.

16-20oz chicken stock (add more as the noodles soak it in)
1 top ramen or maruchan noodles package w/out flavor packet
1/2 star anise
1/2  teaspoon of salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
1 baby bok choy
1 sliced green onion
1 teaspoon sriracha

3 comments:

  1. Great review and video! I have wanted one of those for a while, will have to pick up and try while camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Thanks for the vote of confidence Tina!

      Delete
    2. Great review, Steve! Good to see you there in your video --well, half of you, anyway. You are all an inspiration to me. May your travels be safe!

      Delete